[gpfsug-discuss] A net new cluster

Christopher Black cblack at nygenome.org
Fri Mar 29 16:37:04 GMT 2019

I suggest option A.
We are facing a similar transition and are going with a new cluster and then 4.x cluster to 5.x cluster migration of existing data. An extra wrinkle for us is we are going to join some of the old hardware to the new cluster once it is free of serving current data.
Main reasoning of the new cluster for us is to be able to make a fully V19+ filesystem with sub-block allocation.
Our understanding from talking to IBM is that there is no way to upgrade a pool to be SBA-compatible, nor is it advisable to try to create a new pool or filesystem in same cluster and then migrate (partially because migrating between filesystems within a cluster with afm would require going through nfs stack afaik).
Option B would be much less work and work fine if you are not concerned with things like sub-block allocation that can’t be gained easily with an in-place upgrade.

Best,
Chris