[gpfsug-discuss] Exporting remote GPFS mounts on a non-ces SMB share

valleru at cbio.mskcc.org valleru at cbio.mskcc.org
Thu Mar 7 18:59:03 GMT 2019

Hello All,

We are thinking of exporting “remote" GPFS mounts on a remote GPFS 5.0 cluster through a SMB share.

I have heard in a previous thread that it is not a good idea to export NFS/SMB share on a remote GPFS mount, and make it writable.

The issue that could be caused by making it writable would be metanode swapping between the GPFS clusters.

May i understand this better and the seriousness of this issue?

The possibility of a single file being written at the same time from a GPFS node and NFS/SMB node is minimum - however it is possible that a file is written at the same time from multiple protocols by mistake and we cannot prevent it.

This is the setup:

GPFS storage cluster: /gpfs01
GPFS CES cluster ( does not have any storage) : /gpfs01 -> mounted remotely . NFS export /gpfs01 as part of CES cluster
GPFS client for CES cluster -> Acts as SMB server and exports /gpfs01 over SMB

Are there any other limitations that i need to know for the above setup?

We cannot use GPFS CES SMB as of now for few other reasons such as LDAP/AD id mapping and authentication complications.

Regards,
Lohit