[gpfsug-discuss] AFM prefetch and eviction policy question

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Thu Jun 20 23:18:01 BST 2019

Hi there,

Been reading the documentation and wikis and such this afternoon, but could use some assistance from someone who is more well-versed in AFM and policy writing to confirm that what I’m looking to do is actually feasible.

Is is possible to:

1) Have a policy that, generally, continuously prefetches a single fileset of an AFM cache (make sure those files are there whenever possible)?
2) Generally prefer not evict files from that fileset, unless it’s necessary, opting to evict other stuff first?

It seems to me that one can do a prefetch on the fileset, but that future files will not be prefetched, requiring you to run this periodically. Additionally, by default, it would seem as if these files would frequently be evicted in the case where it becomes necessary if they are infrequently used. Would like to avoid too much churn on this but provide fast access to these files (it’s a software tree, not user files).

Thanks in advance! I’d rather know that it’s possible before digging too deeply into the how.

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'