[gpfsug-discuss] Building GPFS filesystem system data pool on shared nothing NVMe drives

Sanchez, Paul Paul.Sanchez at deshaw.com
Tue Jul 30 13:19:56 BST 2019

Hi David,

In an ECE configuration, it would be typical to put all of the NVMe disks in all 4 of your servers into a single recovery group.   So in your case, all 24 NVMe drives would be in one recovery group and the 4 servers would be “log group” servers in the recovery group, distributing the I/O load for the NSD/vdisks that are hosted on the RG.  (The minimum disks for a single RG config is 12, and you meet that easily.)

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/STXKQY_ECE_5.0.3/com.ibm.spectrum.scale.ece.v5r03.doc/b1lece_plan_recommendations.htm
outlines the recommendations for raidCode protection.  Your configuration (4 nodes) would use vdisks with 4+3P, which gives you a slightly better capacity yield than RAID10 would, but with much better recovery characteristics:

·         No single failed node will result in a down system NSD.

·         No single drive failure will require a critical priority rebuild, and can be handled in the background without killing performance.

So from that perspective, ECE is a win here and avoids a problem with the non-ECE, shared-nothing designs: the manual “mmchdisk <fsname> start -a” operation that is needed after any traditional shared-nothing metadata NSD goes offline to bring it back and protect against further failures.

Despite the operational challenges of the non-ECE design, it can sometimes survive two server failures (if replication factor is 3 and the filesystem descriptor quorum wasn’t lost by the two failures) which a 4 node ECE cluster cannot.  Given that the world is complex and unexpected things can happen, I’d personally recommend redistributing the 24 disks across 6 servers if you can, so that the design could always survive 2 node failures.  I’ve run this design and it’s fairly robust.

In any event, you should of course test the failure scenarios yourself before going into production to validate them and familiarize yourself with the process.  And a special note on ECE: due to the cooperative nature at the pdisk level, the network between the servers in the RG should be as reliable as possible and any network redundancy should also be tested ahead of time.

-Paul