[gpfsug-discuss] slow filesystem

Damir Krstic damir.krstic at gmail.com
Wed Jul 10 13:16:31 BST 2019

Over last couple of days our reads and writes on our compute cluster are
experiencing real slow reads and writes on one of the filesystems in the
cluster. We are talking with IBM and have Sev. 1 ticket open, but I figured
to ask here about the warning message we are seeing in GPFS logs.

The cluster is configured as following:

4 IO servers in the main gpfs cluster
700+ compute nodes in the gpfs cluster

home filesystem is slow but projects filesystem seems to be fast. Not many
waiters on the IO servers (almost none) but a lot of waiters on the remote
cluster.

The message that is giving us a pause is the following:

Jul 10 07:05:31 gssio4 mmfs: [N] Writing into file
/var/mmfs/gen/LastLeaseRequestSent took 10.5 seconds

Why is taking so long to write to to the local file?

Thanks,
Damir