[gpfsug-discuss] Any guidelines for choosing vdisk size?

Ryan Novosielski novosirj at rutgers.edu
Mon Jul 1 06:42:51 BST 2019

Good morning,

Was wondering if anyone could point me to any tips or provide some regarding choosing vdisk size? My understanding is that too small is a waste of resources in the form of overhead, and that there is an upper limit. but that generally within a pool, you want them to be the same size, so that if you aren’t allocating the entire storage space on the system straight off, you’ll need to choose a reasonable size or be left with unusable space (eg. you will waste space if you went with, say, 200 GB vdisk sizes on a 500 GB array).

Anyone have any tips? Do people just generally allocate the whole thing and have one 2 vdisks (redundancy)? Seems you have some more flexibility if you don’t do that and have to, say, create a storage pool or filesystem from scratch to take advantage of features in a newer FS version or what have you.

Thanks for the help — spent a lot of time looking for this previously, but never asked on the list.

--
____
||_// the State	 |         Ryan Novosielski - novosirj at rutgers.edu
|| \\ University | Sr. Technologist - 973/972.0922 (2x0922) ~*~ RBHS Campus
||  \\    of NJ	 | Office of Advanced Research Computing - MSB C630, Newark
     `'