[gpfsug-discuss] Node ‘crash and restart’ event using GPFS callback?

Dwayne.Hart at med.mun.ca Dwayne.Hart at med.mun.ca
Wed Jan 30 21:52:48 GMT 2019

Could you get away with running “mmdiag —stats” and inspecting the uptime information it provides?

Best,
Dwayne
—
Dwayne Hart | Systems Administrator IV

CHIA, Faculty of Medicine
Memorial University of Newfoundland
300 Prince Philip Drive
St. John’s, Newfoundland | A1B 3V6
Craig L Dobbin Building | 4M409
T 709 864 6631

On Jan 30, 2019, at 5:32 PM, Sanchez, Paul <Paul.Sanchez at deshaw.com<mailto:Paul.Sanchez at deshaw.com>> wrote:

There are some cases which I don’t believe can be caught with callbacks (e.g. DMS = Dead Man Switch).  But you could possibly use preStartup to check the host uptime to make an assumption if GPFS was restarted long after the host booted.  You could also peek in /tmp/mmfs and only report if you find something there.  That said, the docs say that preStartup fires after the node joins the cluster.  So if that means once the node is ‘active’ then you might miss out on nodes stuck in ‘arbitrating’ for a while due to a waiter problem.

We run a script with cron which monitors the myriad things which can go wrong and attempt to right those which are safe to fix, and raise alerts appropriately.  Something like that, outside the reach of GPFS, is often a good choice if you don’t need to know something the moment it happens.

Thx
Paul