[gpfsug-discuss] Querying size of snapshots

Christopher Black cblack at nygenome.org
Tue Jan 29 17:23:49 GMT 2019

We have some large filesets (PB+) and filesystems where I would like to monitor delete rates and estimate how much space we will get back as snapshots expire. We only keep 3-4 daily snapshots on this filesystem due to churn.
I’ve tried to query the sizes of snapshots using the following command:
mmlssnapshot fsname -d --block-size 1T

However, this has run for over an hour without producing any results. Metadata is all on flash and I’m not sure why this is taking so long.

Does anyone have any insight on this or alternate methods for getting estimates of snapshot sizes?

Best,
Chris

PS I am aware of the warning in docs about the -d option.
This message is for the recipient’s use only, and may contain confidential, privileged or protected information. Any unauthorized use or dissemination of this communication is prohibited. If you received this message in error, please immediately notify the sender and destroy all copies of this message. The recipient should check this email and any attachments for the presence of viruses, as we accept no liability for any damage caused by any virus transmitted by this email.