[gpfsug-discuss] Clarification of mmdiag --iohist output

IBM Spectrum Scale scale at us.ibm.com
Sun Feb 17 19:01:24 GMT 2019

Hi Kevin,

The I/O hist shown by the command mmdiag --iohist actually depends on the
node on which you are running this command from.
If you are running this on a NSD server node then it will show the time
taken to complete/serve the read or write I/O operation sent from the
client node.
And if you are running this on a client (or non NSD server) node then it
will show the complete time taken by the read or write I/O operation
requested by the client node to complete.
So in a nut shell for the NSD server case it is just the latency of the
I/O done on disk by the server whereas for the NSD client case it also the
latency of send and receive of I/O request to the NSD server along with
the latency of I/O done on disk by the NSD server.
I hope this answers your query.

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team

If you feel that your question can benefit other users of  Spectrum Scale
(GPFS), then please post it to the public IBM developerWroks Forum at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000479
.

If your query concerns a potential software error in Spectrum Scale (GPFS)
and you have an IBM software maintenance contract please contact
1-800-237-5511 in the United States or your local IBM Service Center in
other countries.

The forum is informally monitored as time permits and should not be used
for priority messages to the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team.