[gpfsug-discuss] question on fileset / quotas

Markus Rohwedder rohwedder at de.ibm.com
Mon Feb 11 09:36:06 GMT 2019

Hello,

There is no hierarchy between fileset quotas, the fileset quota limits are
completely independent of each other.
The independent fileset., as you mentioned, provides the common inode space
and ties the parent and child together in regards to
using inodes from their common inode space and for example in regards to
snapshots and other features that act on independent filesets.

There are however many degrees of freedom in setting up quota
configurations, for example user and group quotas and the per-fileset and
per-filesystem quota options.
So there may be other ways how you could create rules that can model your
environment and which could provide a means to create limits across several
filesets.

For example (will probably not match to you but just to illustrate)::
You have a group of applications.
Each application stores data in one dependent fileset. The filesystem where
these exist uses per filesystem quota accounting.-
All these filesets are children of an independent filesets. this allows you
to  create snapshots of all applications together.
All applications store data under the same group.
You can limit each applications space via fileset quota and you can limit
the whole application group via group quota.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Dr. Markus Rohwedder

Spectrum Scale GUI Development

 Phone:  +49 7034 6430190      IBM Deutschland Research &
                              Development

 E-Mail: rohwedder at de.ibm.com  Am Weiher 24

                               65451 Kelsterbach

                               Germany