[gpfsug-discuss] Mapping GPFS v5 Windows client to same UID...?

IBM Spectrum Scale scale at us.ibm.com
Tue Feb 5 20:09:07 GMT 2019

Hello Henrik,

What you are seeing has to do with whether UAC (User Access Control) is
enabled/disabled on Windows.

On Windows 7 and 2012R2 etc, my guess is that you have disabled UAC (since
that is what GPFS required in the past). When UAC is disabled, the default
owner of a local file/dir created by a user that is member of
Administrators group, is set as Administrators (SID = S-1-5-32-544). That
is mapped to autogenerated-id 15,000,000 in your case. On Windows 10
(where UAC MUST stay enabled), the behavior changes. When UAC is not
disabled (and NOT running elevated), the default owner of a local file/dir
created by a user that is member of Administrators group, is set to that
user SID. Hence, it is not S-1-5-32-544, rather a unique SID for that
local user. In absence of AD setup and RFC 2307 mappings, GPFS is
auto-mapping that user SID to 15,000, 270 in your case. As you see, the
state of UAC results in different owners.

You simply cannot disable UAC on Windows 10 (and newer versions) since it
breaks certain OS components! Hence, to get consistent behavior (the
latter semantics where file owner = user SID), you could enable UAC on
Windows 7/2012R2 to default (instead of disabling it). GPFS 4.2.3.12 works
with UAC enabled. Remember though that the old 15,000,000 is on-disk ACL
structures, hence you will have to explicitly set/change owner to yourself
(to update to 15,000,270) for existing files. Any new files/dirs though
should default to 15,000,270.

You could also add an ACL entry for Administrators group or individual
users granting desired access instead of relying on file ownership for
access rights.

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team

If you feel that your question can benefit other users of  Spectrum Scale
(GPFS), then please post it to the public IBM developerWroks Forum at
https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000479
.

If your query concerns a potential software error in Spectrum Scale (GPFS)
and you have an IBM software maintenance contract please contact
1-800-237-5511 in the United States or your local IBM Service Center in
other countries.

The forum is informally monitored as time permits and should not be used
for priority messages to the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team.