[gpfsug-discuss] question on fileset / quotas

Imam Toufique techie879 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 01:42:13 GMT 2019

Hi Everyone,

I am very new to GPFS, just got the system up and running, now starting to
get myself setting up filesets and quotas.  I have a question, may be in
has been answered already, somewhere in this forum, my apologies for that
if this is a repeat.

My question is:

lets say I have an independent fileset called '/mmfs1/crsp_test' , and I
set it's quota to 2GB ( quota type FILESET ).

STAGING-itoufiqu at crspoitdc-mgmt-001:/mmfs1/crsp_test/itoufiqu$ df -h
/mmfs1/crsp_test/
mmfs1           2.0G     0  2.0G   0% /mmfs1

Now, I go create a 'dependent' fileset calld 'itoufiqu' under  'crsp_test'
, sharing it's inode space, and i was able to set it's quota to 4GB.

STAGING-root at crspoitdc-mgmt-001:/mmfs1/crsp_test$ df -h
/mmfs1/crsp_test/itoufiqu
mmfs1           4.0G  4.0G     0 100% /mmfs1

Now, i assume that setting quota of 4GB ( whereas the independent fileset
quota is 2GB ) for the above dependent fileset ( 'itoufiqu' ) is being
allowed as dependent fileset is sharing inode space from the independent
fileset.

Is there a way to setup an independent fileset so that it's dependent
filesets cannot exceed its quota limit? Another words, if my independent
fileset quota is 2GB, I should not be allowed to set quotas for it's
dependent filesets more then 2GB  ( for the dependent filesets created in
aggregate ) ?

Thanks for your help!