[gpfsug-discuss] Question about Policies

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Dec 30 21:48:00 GMT 2019

On 30/12/2019 16:20, Marc A Kaplan wrote:
> Now apart from the mechanics of handling and manipulating pathnames ...
>
> the idea to manage storage by "mv"ing instead of MIGRATEing (GPFS-wise)
> may be ill-advised.
>
> I suspect this is a hold-over or leftover from the old days -- when a
> filesystem was comprised of just a few storage devices (disk drives) and
> the only way available to manage space was to mv files to another
> filesystem or archive to tape or whatnot..

I suspect based on the OP is from (a cancer research institute which is
basically life sciences) that this is an incorrect assumption.

I would guess this is about "archiving" results coming off experimental
equipment. I use the term "archiving" in the same way that various email
programs try and "archive" my old emails. That is to prevent the output
directory of the equipment filling up with many thousands of files
and/or directories I want to automate the placement in a directory
hierarchy of old results.

Imagine a piece of equipment that does 50 different analysis's a day
every working day. That's a 1000 a month or ~50,000 a year. It's about
logically moving stuff to keep ones working directory manageable but
making finding an old analysis easy to find.

I would also note that some experimental equipment would do many more
than 50 different analysis's a day.

It's a common requirement in any sort of research facility, especially
when they have central facilities for doing analysis on equipment that
would be too expensive for an individual group or where it makes sense
to "outsource" repetitive basics analysis to lower paid staff.