[gpfsug-discuss] Quota: revert user quota to FILESET default

Kuei-Yu Wang-Knop kywang at us.ibm.com
Thu Dec 19 20:56:05 GMT 2019

Razvan,

mmedquota -d -u fs:fset:

-d
      Reestablish default quota limits for a specific user, group, or
      fileset that had an explicit quota limit set by a previous invocation
      of the mmedquota command.

This option  will assign the default quota  to the user. The quota entry
type will change from "e" to "d_fset". You may need to play a little bit
with your system to get the result as you can have default quota per file
system set and default quota per fileset enabled.

An exemple to illustrate

User pfs004 in filesystem fs9 and fileset fset7 has explicit quota set:

# mmrepquota -u -v fs9 | grep pfs004
pfs004     fset7      USR            1088     102400    1048576          0
none |       13   10000    33333        0     none e        <=== explicit

# mmlsquota -d fs9:fset7
         Default Block Limits(KB)                 |  Default File Limits
Filesystem Fileset    type      quota      limit  |     quota    limit
entryType
fs9        fset7      USR      102400    1048576  |     10000        0
default on   <=== default quota limits for fs9:fset7, the default
fs9        fset7      GRP           0          0  |         0        0  i

# mmlsquota -u pfs004 fs9:fset7
                         Block Limits
|     File Limits
Filesystem Fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt
grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace  Remarks
fs9        fset7      USR            1088     102400    1048576          0
none |       13   10000    33333        0     none             <===
explicit

# mmedquota -d -u pfs004 fs9:fset7        <=== run mmedquota -d -u to get
default limits

# mmlsquota -u pfs004 fs9:fset7
                         Block Limits
|     File Limits
Filesystem Fileset    type             KB      quota      limit   in_doubt
grace |    files   quota    limit in_doubt    grace  Remarks
fs9        fset7      USR            1088     102400    1048576          0
none |       13   10000        0        0     none         <=== takes the
default value

# mmrepquota -u -v fs9:fset7 | grep pfs004
pfs004     fset7      USR            1088     102400    1048576          0
none |       13   10000        0        0     none d_fset  <=== now user
pfs004 in fset7 takes the default limits
#

------------------------------------
Kuei-Yu Wang-Knop
IBM Scalable I/O development
(845) 433-9333 T/L 293-9333, E-mail: kywang at us.ibm.com

From:	"Popescu, Razvan" <rp2927 at gsb.columbia.edu>
To:	gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:	12/19/2019 02:28 PM
Subject:	[EXTERNAL] Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Quota:  revert user quota to
            FILESET default
Sent by:	gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

I see.

May I ask one follow-up question, please:   what is  “mmedquota -d -u
<username>”   supposed to do in this case?

Really appreciate your assistance.

Razvan

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of Kuei-Yu
Wang-Knop <kywang at us.ibm.com>
Date: Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 2:25 PM
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Quota: revert user quota to FILESET default

>> To make it more technical …. This fellow’s quota entryType is now “e” .
I want to change it back to entryType “I”. (I hope I’m not talking nonsense
here)

Currently there is no function to revert an explicit quota entry (e) to
initial (i) entry.

Kuei
------------------------------------
(845) 433-9333 T/L 293-9333, E-mail: kywang at us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Popescu, Razvan" ---12/19/2019 02:18:54
PM---Thanks for your kind reply. My problem is different tho"Popescu,
Razvan" ---12/19/2019 02:18:54 PM---Thanks for your kind reply. My problem
is different though.

From: "Popescu, Razvan" <rp2927 at gsb.columbia.edu>
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date: 12/19/2019 02:18 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Quota: revert user quota to
FILESET default
Sent by: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

Thanks for your kind reply.

My problem is different though.

I have set a fileset default quota (doing all the steps you recommended)
and all was Ok. During operations I have edited *individual* quotas, for
example to increase certain user’s allocations.

Now, I want to *revert* (change back) one of these users to the (fileset)
default quota !

For example, I have used one user account to test the mmedquota command
setting his limits to a certain value (just testing). I’d like now to make
that user’s quota be the default fileset quota, and not just numerically,
but have his quota record follow the changes in fileset default quota
limits.

To make it more technical …. This fellow’s quota entryType is now “e” . I
want to change it back to entryType “I”. (I hope I’m not talking nonsense
here)

mmedquota’s “-d” option is supposed to reinstate the defaults, but it
doesn’t seem to work for fileset based quotas … !?!

Razvan

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of Kuei-Yu
Wang-Knop <kywang at us.ibm.com>
Date: Thursday, December 19, 2019 at 2:06 PM
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>

It sounds like you would like to have default perfileset quota enabled.
Have you tried to enable the default quota on the filesets and then set the
default quota limits for those filesets?

For example, in a filesystem fs9 and fileset fset9. File system fs9 has
default quota on and --perfileset-quota enabled.
            # mmlsfs fs9 -Q --perfileset-quota
            flag value description
            ------------------- ------------------------
            -----------------------------------
            -Q user;group;fileset Quotas accounting enabled
            user;fileset Quotas enforced
            user;group;fileset Default quotas enabled
            --perfileset-quota Yes Per-fileset quota enforcement

            #

Enable default user quota for fileset fset9, if not enabled yet,

e.g. "mmdefquotaon -u fs9:fset9"

Then set the default quota for this fileset using mmdefedquota"
            # mmdefedquota -u fs9:fset9

            ..
            *** Edit quota limits for USR DEFAULT entry for fileset fset9
            NOTE: block limits will be rounded up to the next multiple of
            the block size.
            block units may be: K, M, G, T or P, inode units may be: K, M
            or G.
            fs9: blocks in use: 0K, limits (soft = 102400K, hard =
            1048576K)
            inodes in use: 0, limits (soft = 10000, hard = 22222)

Hope that this helps.

------------------------------------
(845) 433-9333 T/L 293-9333, E-mail: kywang at us.ibm.com

Inactive hide details for "Popescu, Razvan" ---12/19/2019 12:22:34 PM---Hi,
I’d like to revert a user’s quota to the fileset"Popescu, Razvan"
---12/19/2019 12:22:34 PM---Hi, I’d like to revert a user’s quota to the
fileset’s default, but “mmedquota -d -u <username>”

From: "Popescu, Razvan" <rp2927 at gsb.columbia.edu>
To: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date: 12/19/2019 12:22 PM
Subject: [EXTERNAL] [gpfsug-discuss] Quota: revert user quota to FILESET
default
Sent by: gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

Hi,

I’d like to revert a user’s quota to the fileset’s default, but “mmedquota
-d -u <username>” fails because I do have not set a filesystem default….
[root at xxx]# mmedquota -d -u user
gsb USR default quota is off

(SpectrumScale 5.0.3 Standard Ed. on RHEL7 x86)

Is this a limitation of the current mmedquota implementation, or of
something more profound?...

I have several filesets within this filesystem, each with various quota
structures. A filesystem-wide default quota didn’t seem useful so I never
defined one; however I do have multiple fileset-level default quotas, and
this is the level at which I’d like to be able to handle this matter… Have
I hit a limitation of the implementation? Any workaround, if that’s the
case?

Many thanks,

Razvan Popescu
Columbia Business School