[gpfsug-discuss] Running mmcheckquota on a file system with 1.3B files

Oesterlin, Robert Robert.Oesterlin at nuance.com
Mon Aug 19 14:54:36 BST 2019

Thanks, - I kicked it off and it finished in about 12 hours, so much quicker than I expected.

Bob Oesterlin
Sr Principal Storage Engineer, Nuance

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of IBM Spectrum Scale <scale at us.ibm.com>
Date: Monday, August 19, 2019 at 8:24 AM
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: [EXTERNAL] Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Running mmcheckquota on a file system with 1.3B files

Bob, like most questions of this time I think the answer depends on a number of variables.  Generally we do not recommend running the mmcheckquota command during the peak usage of your Spectrum Scale system.  As I think you know the command will increase the IO to the NSDs that hold metadata and the number of NSDs that hold metadata will contribute to the time it takes for the command to complete, i.e. more metadata NSDs should improve the overall execution time.

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team