[gpfsug-discuss] Fileheat

Ulrich Sibiller u.sibiller at science-computing.de
Tue Aug 13 10:22:27 BST 2019

On 12.08.19 15:38, Marc A Kaplan wrote:
> My Admin guide says:
>
> The loss percentage and period are set via the configuration
> variables *fileHeatLossPercent *and *fileHeatPeriodMinutes*. By default, the file access temperature
> is not
> tracked. To use access temperature in policy, the tracking must first be enabled. To do this, set
> the two
> configuration variables as follows:*

Yes, I am aware of that.

> fileHeatLossPercent*
> The percentage (between 0 and 100) of file access temperature dissipated over the*
> fileHeatPeriodMinutes *time. The default value is 10.
> Chapter 25. Information lifecycle management for IBM Spectrum Scale *361**
> fileHeatPeriodMinutes*
> The number of minutes defined for the recalculation of file access temperature. To turn on
> tracking, *fileHeatPeriodMinutes *must be set to a nonzero value. The default value is 0
>

> SO Try setting both!

Well, I have not because the documentation explicitly mentions a default. What's the point of a
default if I have to explicitly configure it?

> ALSO to take effect you may have to mmshutdown and mmstartup, at least on the (client gpfs) nodes
> that are accessing the files of interest.

I have now configured both parameters and restarted GPFS. Ran a tar over a directory - still no
change. I will wait for 720minutes and retry (tomorrow).

Thanks

Uli

--
Science + Computing AG