[gpfsug-discuss] Checking for Stale File Handles

Alexander John Mamach alex.mamach at northwestern.edu
Fri Aug 9 18:46:34 BST 2019

Hi folks,

We’re currently investigating a way to check for stale file handles on the nodes across our cluster in a way that minimizes impact to the filesystem and performance.

Has anyone found a direct way of doing so? We considered a few methods, including simply attempting to ls a GPFS filesystem from each node, but that might have false positives, (detecting slowdowns as stale file handles), and could negatively impact performance with hundreds of nodes doing this simultaneously.

Thanks,

Alex

Senior Systems Administrator

Research Computing Infrastructure
Northwestern University Information Technology (NUIT)

2020 Ridge Ave
Evanston, IL 60208-4311

O: (847) 491-2219
M: (312) 887-1881