[gpfsug-discuss] A net new cluster

Venkateswara R Puvvada vpuvvada at in.ibm.com
Tue Apr 2 11:57:51 BST 2019

AFM supports data migration between the two different file systems from
the same cluster using NSD protocol. AFM based migration using the NSD
protocol is usually performed by remote mounting the old filesystem (if
not in the same cluster) at the new cluster's gateway node(s).  Only
gateway node is required to mount the remote filesystem.

Some recent improvements to the AFM prefetch

1. Directory level prefetch, users no longer required to provide list
files.  Directory prefetch automatically detects the changed or new files
and queues only the changed files for the migration. Prefetch queuing
starts immediately, and  does not wait for the full list file/directory
processing unlike in the earlier releases (pre 5.0.2).
2. Multiple prefetches for the same fileset from different gateway nodes.
(will be available in 5.0.3.x, 5.0.2.x).  User can select any gateway node
to run the prefetch for a fileset, or split list of files or directories
and execute them from the multiple gateway nodes simultaneously. This
method gets good migration performance and better utilization of network
bandwidth as the multiple streams are used for the transfer.
3. Better prefetch queueing statistics than previous releases, provides
total number of files, how many queued, total amount of data etc..

~Venkat (vpuvvada at in.ibm.com)