[gpfsug-discuss] NSD network checksums (nsdCksumTraditional)

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Tue Oct 30 23:15:38 GMT 2018

I confess, I know what checksums are generally and how and why they are
used, but I am not familiar with all the various checksums that have been
discussed here.

I'd like to see a list or a chart with the following information for each
checksum:

Computed on what data elements, of what (typical) length (e.g. packet,
disk block, disk fragment, disk sector)
Checksum function used, how many bits of checksum computed on each data
element.
Computed by what software or hardware entity at what nodes in the network.

There may be such checksums on each NSD transfer.  Lowest layers would be
checking data coming off of the disk.  Checking network packets coming off
ethernet or IB adapters.
Higher layer for NSD could be a checksum on a whole disk block and/or on
NSD request and response, including message headers AND the disk data...