[gpfsug-discuss] NSD network checksums (nsdCksumTraditional)

Stephen Ulmer ulmer at ulmer.org
Mon Oct 29 20:47:24 GMT 2018

So the ESS checksums that are highly touted as "protecting all the way to the disk surface" completely ignore the transfer between the client and the NSD server? It sounds like you are saying that all of the checksumming done for GNR is internal to GNR and only protects against bit-flips on the disk (and in staging buffers, etc.)

I’m asking because your explanation completely ignores calculating anything on the NSD client and implies that the client could not participate, given that it does not know about the structure of the vdisks under the NSD — but that has to be a performance factor for both types if the transfer is protected starting at the client — which it is in the case of nsdCksumTraditional which is what we are comparing to ESS checksumming.

If ESS checksumming doesn’t protect on the wire I’d say that marketing has run amok, because that has *definitely* been implied in meetings for which I’ve been present. In fact, when asked if Spectrum Scale provides checksumming for data in-flight, IBM sales has used it as an ESS up-sell opportunity.

--
Stephen