[gpfsug-discuss] Best way to migrate data

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Fri Oct 19 10:09:13 BST 2018

On 18/10/2018 18:19, Dwayne.Hart at med.mun.ca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Just wondering what the best recipe for migrating a user’s home
> directory content from one GFPS file system to another which hosts a
> larger research GPFS file system? I’m currently using rsync and it
> has maxed out the client system’s IB interface.

Be careful with rsync, it resets all your atimes which screws up any
hope of doing ILM or HSM.

My personal favourite is to do something along the lines of

   dsmc restore /gpfs/<username>

Minimal impact on the user facing services, and seems to preserve atimes
last time I checked. Sure it tanks your backup server a bit, but that is
not user facing. What do users care if the backup takes longer than normal.

Of course this presumes you have a backup :-)