[gpfsug-discuss] Filesystem access issues via CES NFS

Andreas Mattsson andreas.mattsson at maxiv.lu.se
Tue Nov 20 15:01:36 GMT 2018

On one of our clusters, from time to time if users try to access files or
folders via the direct full path over NFS, the NFS-client gets invalid
information from the server.

For instance, if I run "ls /gpfs/filesystem/test/test2/test3" over
NFS-mount, result is just full of ????????

If I recurse through the path once, for instance by ls'ing or cd'ing through
the folders one at a time or running ls -R, I can then access directly via
the full path afterwards.

This seem to be intermittent, and I haven't found how to reliably recreate
the issue.

Possibly, it can be connected to creating or changing files or folders via a
GPFS mount, and then accessing them through NFS, but it doesn't happen
consistently.

Is this a known behaviour or bug, and does anyone know how to fix the issue?

These NSD-servers currently run Scale 4.2.2.3, while the CES is on 5.0.1.1.

GPFS clients run Scale 5.0.1.1, and NFS clients run CentOS 7.5.

Regards,

Andreas Mattsson

Andreas Mattsson
Systems Engineer

MAX IV Laboratory
Lund University
P.O. Box 118, SE-221 00 Lund, Sweden
Visiting address: Fotongatan 2, 224 84 Lund
Mobile: +46 706 64 95 44
 <mailto:andreas.mattsson at maxiv.lu.se> andreas.mattsson at maxiv.lu.se
 <http://www.maxiv.se/> www.maxiv.se