[gpfsug-discuss] CES - samba - how can I disable shadow_copy2, i.e. snapshots

Billich Heinrich Rainer (PSI) heiner.billich at psi.ch
Fri Nov 9 12:46:31 GMT 2018

Hello,

we run CES with smbd on a filesystem _without_ snapshots. I would like to completely remove the shadow_copy2 vfs object in samba which exposes the snapshots to windows clients:

We don't offer snapshots as service to clients and if I create a snapshot I don't want it to be exposed to clients. I'm also not sure how much additional directory traversals this vfs object causes, shadow_copy2 has to search for the snapshot directories again and again, just to learn that there are no snapshots available.

Now the file  samba_registry.def (/usr/lpp/mmfs/share/samba/samba_registry.def) doesn't allow to change the settings for shadow_config2  in samba's configuration.

Hm, is it o.k. to edit samba_registry.def? That's probably not what IBM intended. But with mmsnapdir I can change the name of the snapshot directories, which would require me to edit the locked settings, too, so it seems a bit restrictive.

I didn’t search all documentation, if there is an option do disable shadow_copy2 with some command I would be happy to learn.

Any comments or ideas are welcome. Also if you think I should just create a bogus .snapdirs at root level to get rid of the error messages and that's it, please let me know.

we run scale 5.0.1-1 on RHEL4 x86_64. We will upgrade to 5.0.2-1 soon, but I didn’t' check that version yet.

Cheers

Heiner Billich

What I would like to change in samba's configuration:

52c52
< 	vfs objects = syncops gpfs fileid time_audit
---
--
Paul Scherrer Institut
Heiner Billich