[gpfsug-discuss] AFM negative file caching

Simon Thompson (IT Research Support) S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk
Wed May 30 12:57:27 BST 2018

p.s.

I wasn’t sure if afmDirLookupRefreshInterval and afmFileLookupRefreshInterval would be the right thing if it’s a file/directory that doesn’t exist?

Simon

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of "Simon Thompson (IT Research Support)" <S.J.Thompson at bham.ac.uk>
Date: Wednesday, 30 May 2018 at 12:52
To: "gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: [gpfsug-discuss] AFM negative file caching

Hi All,

We have a file-set which is an AFM fileset and contains installed software.

We’ve been experiencing some performance issues with workloads when this is running and think this is down to LD_LIBRARY_PATH being set to the software installed in the AFM cache, e.g.

/gpfs/apps/somesoftware/v1.2/lib

Subsequently when you run (e.g.) “who” on the system, LD_LIBRARY_PATH is being searched for e.g. libnss_ldap, which is in /usr/lib64. We’re assuming that AFM is checking with home each time the directory is processed (and other sub directories like lib/tls) and that each time AFM is checking for the file’s existence at home. Is there a way to change the negative cache at all on AFM for this one file-set? (e.g as you might with NFS). The file-set only has applications so changes are pretty rare and so a 10 min or so check would be fine with me.

Thanks

Simon