[gpfsug-discuss] Snapshots for backups

valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu
Wed May 9 21:33:26 BST 2018

On Wed, 09 May 2018 15:01:55 -0400, "Marc A Kaplan" said:

> I see there are also low-power / zero-power disk archive/arrays available.
>  Any experience with those?

The last time I looked at those (which was a few years ago) they were competitive
with tape for power consumption, but not on cost per terabyte - it takes a lot less
cable and hardware to hook up a dozen tape drives and a robot arm that can
reach 10,000 volumes than it does to wire up 10,000 disks of which only 500 are
actually spinning at any given time...