[gpfsug-discuss] Not recommended, but why not?

Skylar Thompson skylar2 at uw.edu
Fri May 4 16:49:12 BST 2018

Our experience is that CES (at least NFS/ganesha) can easily consume all of
the CPU resources on a system. If you're running it on the same hardware as
your NSD services, then you risk delaying native GPFS I/O requests as well.
We haven't found a great way to limit the amount of resources that NFS/ganesha
can use, though maybe in the future it could be put in a cgroup since
it's all user-space?

On Fri, May 04, 2018 at 03:38:57PM +0000, Buterbaugh, Kevin L wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> In doing some research, I have come across numerous places (IBM docs, DeveloperWorks posts, etc.) where it is stated that it is not recommended to run CES on NSD servers ??? but I???ve not found any detailed explanation of why not.
>
> I understand that CES, especially if you enable SMB, can be a resource hog.  But if I size the servers appropriately ??? say, late model boxes with 2 x 8 core CPU???s, 256 GB RAM, 10 GbE networking ??? is there any reason why I still should not combine the two?
>
> To answer the question of why I would want to ??? simple, server licenses.
>
> Thanks???
>
> Kevin
>
> ???
> Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
> Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
> Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633

-- Skylar Thompson (skylar2 at u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354