[gpfsug-discuss] Not recommended, but why not?

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Fri May 4 16:38:57 BST 2018

Hi All,

In doing some research, I have come across numerous places (IBM docs, DeveloperWorks posts, etc.) where it is stated that it is not recommended to run CES on NSD servers … but I’ve not found any detailed explanation of why not.

I understand that CES, especially if you enable SMB, can be a resource hog.  But if I size the servers appropriately … say, late model boxes with 2 x 8 core CPU’s, 256 GB RAM, 10 GbE networking … is there any reason why I still should not combine the two?

To answer the question of why I would want to … simple, server licenses.

Thanks…

Kevin

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633