[gpfsug-discuss] sublocks per block in GPFS 5.0

Marc A Kaplan makaplan at us.ibm.com
Fri Mar 30 19:47:47 BST 2018

Look at my example, again, closely.  I chose the blocksize as 16M and
subblock size as 4K and the inodesize as 1K....
Developer works is a good resource, but articles you read there may be
incomplete or contain mistakes.

The official IBM Spectrum Scale cmd and admin guide documents, are
"trustworthy" but may not be perfect in all respects.  "Trust but Verify"
and YMMV. ;-)

As for why/how to choose "good sizes", that depends what objectives you
want to achieve, and "optimal" may depend on what hardware you are
running.
Run your own trials and/or ask performance experts.  There are usually
"tradeoffs" and OTOH when you get down to it, some choices may not be
all-that-important in actual deployment and usage.  That's why we have
defaults values - try those first and leave the details and tweaking aside
until you have good reason     ;-)