[gpfsug-discuss] Editions and Licensing / Preferred NSD

Carl Zetie carlz at us.ibm.com
Wed Mar 14 20:31:01 GMT 2018

Simon's description is correct. For those who don't have it readily to hand I'll reiterate it here (in my own words):

We discontinued Express a while back; everybody on that edition got a free upgrade to Standard.

Standard continues to be licensed on sockets. This has certain advantages (clients and FPOs nodes are cheap, but as noted in the thread if you need to change them to servers, they get more expensive)

Advanced was retired; those already on it were "grandfathered in" can continue to buy it, so no forced conversion. But no new customers.

In place of Advanced, Data Management Edition is licensed by the TiB. This has the advantage of simplicity -- it is completely flat regardless of topology. It also allows you to add and subtract nodes, including clients, or change a client node to a server node, at will without having to go through a licensing transaction or keep count of clients or pay a penalty for putting clients in a separate compute cluster or ...

BTW, I'll be at the UG in London and (probably) in Boston, if anybody wants to talk licensing...

Carl Zetie
 Offering Manager for Spectrum Scale, IBM

(540) 882 9353 ][ Research Triangle Park
 carlz at us.ibm.com