[gpfsug-discuss] Preferred NSD

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Wed Mar 14 15:28:53 GMT 2018

I don't want to start a religious filesystem war, but I'd give pause to
GlusterFS based on a number of operational issues I've personally
experienced and seen others experience with it.

I'm curious how glusterfs would resolve the issue here of multiple
clients failing simultaneously (unless you're talking about using
disperse volumes)? That does, actually, bring up an interesting question
to IBM which is -- when will mestor see the light of day? This is
admittedly something other filesystems can do that GPFS cannot.

-Aaron

On 3/14/18 6:57 AM, Michal Zacek wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I don't think the GPFS is good choice for your setup. Did you consider
> GlusterFS? It's used at Max Planck Institute at Dresden for HPC
> computing of  Molecular Biology data. They have similar setup,  tens
> (hundreds) of computers with shared local storage in glusterfs. But you
> will need 10Gb network.
>
> Michal
>

> Dne 12.3.2018 v 16:23 Lukas Hejtmanek napsal(a):
>>> Umm.. do I want to ask *why*, out of only 60 nodes, multiple node
>>> failures are an expected event - to the point that you're thinking
>>> about needing 5 replicas to keep things running?
>> as of my experience with cluster management, we have multiple nodes down on
>> regular basis. (HW failure, SW maintenance and so on.)
>>
>> I'm basically thinking that 2-3 replicas might not be enough while 5 or more
>> are becoming too expensive (both disk space and required bandwidth being
>> scratch space - high i/o load expected).

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776