[gpfsug-discuss] Preferred NSD

Lukas Hejtmanek xhejtman at ics.muni.cz
Mon Mar 12 15:23:17 GMT 2018

On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 11:18:40AM -0400, valdis.kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Mar 2018 15:51:05 +0100, Lukas Hejtmanek said:
> > I don't think like 5 or more data/metadata replicas are practical here. On the
> > other hand, multiple node failures is something really expected.
>
> Umm.. do I want to ask *why*, out of only 60 nodes, multiple node
> failures are an expected event - to the point that you're thinking
> about needing 5 replicas to keep things running?

as of my experience with cluster management, we have multiple nodes down on
regular basis. (HW failure, SW maintenance and so on.)

I'm basically thinking that 2-3 replicas might not be enough while 5 or more
are becoming too expensive (both disk space and required bandwidth being
scratch space - high i/o load expected).

--
Lukáš Hejtmánek

Linux Administrator only because
  Full Time Multitasking Ninja