[gpfsug-discuss] Thoughts on GPFS on IB & MTU sizes

Aaron Knister aaron.s.knister at nasa.gov
Sat Mar 10 16:57:49 GMT 2018

I, personally, haven't been burned by mixing UD and RC IPoIB clients on
the same fabric but that doesn't mean it can't happen. What I *have*
been bitten by a couple times is not having enough entries in the arp
cache after bringing a bunch of new nodes online (that made for a long
Christmas Eve one year...). You can toggle that via the gc_thresh
settings. These settings work for ~3700 nodes (and technically could go
much higher).

net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh3 = 10240
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh2 = 9216
net.ipv4.neigh.default.gc_thresh1 = 8192

It's the kind of thing that will bite you when you expand the cluster
and it may make sense that it's exacerbated by metadata operations
because those may require initiating connections to many nodes in the
cluster which could blow your arp cache.

-Aaron

On 3/10/18 11:31 AM, Wei Guo wrote:
> Hi, Saula,
>
> This sounds like the problem with the jumbo frame.
>
> Ping or metadata query use small packets, so any time you can ping or ls
> file.
>
> However, data transferring use large packets, the MTU size. Your MTU
> 65536 nodes send out large packets, but they get dropped to the 2044
> nodes, because the packet size cannot fit in 2044 size limit. The
> reverse is ok.
>
> I think the gpfs client nodes always communicate with each other to sync
> the sdr repo files, or other user job mpi communications if there are
> any. I think all the nodes should agree on a single MTU. I guess ipoib
> supports up to 4096.
>
> I might missed your Ethernet network switch part whether jumbo frame is
> enabled or not, if you are using any.
>
> Wei Guo
>

> On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 8:29 AM -0600, "Saula, Oluwasijibomi"
> <oluwasijibomi.saula at ndsu.edu <mailto:oluwasijibomi.saula at ndsu.edu>> wrote:
>
>     Wei -  So the expelled node could ping the rest of the cluster just
>     fine. In fact, after adding this new node to the cluster I could
>     traverse the filesystem for simple lookups, however, heavy data
>     moves in or out of the filesystem seemed to trigger the expel
>     messages to the new node.
>

>     This experience prompted my tunning exercise on the node and has
>     since resolved the expel messages to node even during times of high
>     I/O activity.
>

>     Nevertheless, I still have this nagging feeling that the IPoIB
>     tuning for GPFS may not be optimal.
>

>     To answer your questions, Ed - IB supports both administrative and
>     daemon communications, and we have verbsRdma configured.
>

>     Currently, we have both 2044 and 65520 MTU nodes on our IB network
>     and I've been told this should not be the case. I'm hoping to settle
>     on 4096 MTU nodes for the entire cluster but I fear there may be
>     some caveats - any thoughts on this?
>

>     (Oh, Ed - Hideaki was my mentor for a short while when I began my
>     HPC career with NDSU but he left us shortly after. Maybe like you I
>     can tune up my Japanese as well once my GPFS issues are put to rest!
>     😊 )
>

>     Thanks,
>     Siji Saula
>     HPC System Administrator
>     Center for Computationally Assisted Science & Technology
>     *NORTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY*
>
>     <https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::395>Research 2
>     Building
>     <https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::396><https://www.ndsu.edu/alphaindex/buildings/Building::395> –
>     Room 220B
>     Dept 4100, PO Box 6050  / Fargo, ND 58108-6050
>     p:701.231.7749
>     www.ccast.ndsu.edu
>     <file://composeviewinternalloadurl/www.ccast.ndsu.edu> |
>     www.ndsu.edu <file://composeviewinternalloadurl/www.ndsu.edu>

Aaron Knister
NASA Center for Climate Simulation (Code 606.2)
Goddard Space Flight Center
(301) 286-2776