[gpfsug-discuss] wondering about outage free protocols upgrades

Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au Greg.Lehmann at csiro.au
Tue Mar 6 23:36:12 GMT 2018

In theory it only affects SMB, but in practice if NFS depends on winbind for authorisation then it is affected too. I can understand the need for changes to happen every so often and that maybe outages will be required then.

But, I would like to see some effort to avoid doing this unnecessarily. IBM, please consider my suggestion. The message I get from the ctdb service implies it is the sticking point. Can some consideration be given to keeping the ctdb version compatible between releases?

Christof, you are saying something about the SMB service version compatibility. I am unclear as to whether you are talking about the Spectrum Scale Protocols SMB service or the default samba SMB over the wire protocol version being used to communicate between client and server. If the latter, is it possible to peg the version to the older version manually while doing the upgrade so that all nodes can be updated? You can then take an outage at a later time to update the over the wire version.