[gpfsug-discuss] sublocks per block in GPFS 5.0

valleru at cbio.mskcc.org valleru at cbio.mskcc.org
Fri Mar 30 17:15:13 BST 2018

Hello Everyone,

I am a little bit confused with the number of sub-blocks per block-size of 16M in GPFS 5.0.

In the below documentation, it mentions that the number of sub-blocks per block is 16K, but "only for Spectrum Scale RAID"

https://developer.ibm.com/storage/2018/01/11/spectrum-scale-variant-sub-blocks/

However, when i created the filesystem “without” spectrum scale RAID. I still see that the number of sub-blocks per block is 1024.

mmlsfs <filesystem> --subblocks-per-full-block
flag                value                    description
 --subblocks-per-full-block 1024             Number of subblocks per full block

So May i know if the sub-blocks per block-size really 16K? or am i missing something?

Regards,
Lohit