[gpfsug-discuss] Control of where mmcrsnapshot runs?

Keith Ball bipcuds at gmail.com
Tue Mar 27 23:26:16 BST 2018

Hi All,

Two questions on snapshots:

1.) I note that neither "mmcrsnapshot" nor "mmdelsnapshot" appear to have
an "-N" option as "PIT" commands typically do. Is there any way to control
where threads for snapshot creation/deletion run? (I assume the filesystem
manager will always be involved regardless).

2.) When mmdelsnapshot hangs or times out, the error messages tend to
appear on client nodes, and not necessarily the node where mmdelsnapshot is
run from, not the FS manager. Besides telling all users "don't use any I/O"
when runnign these commands, are there ways that folks have found to avoid
hangs and timeouts of mmdelsnapshot?

FWIW our filesystem manager is probably overextended (replication factor 2
on data+MD, 30 daily snapshots kept, a number of client clusters served,
plus the FS manager is also an NSD server).

Many Thanks,
  Keith
RedLine Performance Solutions LLC