[gpfsug-discuss] Meltdown, Spectre, and impacts on GPFS

Avila-Diaz, Leandro lavila at illinois.edu
Thu Mar 1 15:02:24 GMT 2018

Good morning,

Does anyone know if IBM has an official statement and/or perhaps a FAQ document about the Spectre/Meltdown impact on GPFS?
Thank you

From: <gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org> on behalf of IBM Spectrum Scale <scale at us.ibm.com>
Date: Thursday, January 4, 2018 at 20:36
To: gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Subject: Re: [gpfsug-discuss] Meltdown, Spectre, and impacts on GPFS

Kevin,

The team is aware of Meltdown and Spectre. Due to the late availability of production-ready test patches (they became available today) we started today working on evaluating the impact of applying these patches. The focus would be both on any potential functional impacts (especially to the kernel modules shipped with GPFS) and on the performance degradation which affects user/kernel mode transitions. Performance characterization will be complex, as some system calls which may get invoked often by the mmfsd daemon will suddenly become significantly more expensive because of the kernel changes. Depending on the main areas affected, code changes might be possible to alleviate the impact, by reducing frequency of certain calls, etc. Any such changes will be deployed over time.

At this point, we can't say what impact this will have on stability or Performance on systems running GPFS — until IBM issues an official statement on this topic. We hope to have some basic answers soon.

Regards, The Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team

If you feel that your question can benefit other users of Spectrum Scale (GPFS), then please post it to the public IBM developerWroks Forum at https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/community/forums/html/forum?id=11111111-0000-0000-0000-000000000479<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__www.ibm.com_developerworks_community_forums_html_forum-3Fid-3D11111111-2D0000-2D0000-2D0000-2D000000000479&d=DwMGaQ&c=8hUWFZcy2Z-Za5rBPlktOQ&r=cLEEIBn42RKkb7Uaw7awSyh9R6FQnSiXaB-OA4kE6vo&m=B_3Q9il30tD-RgLvGVp5L7NDgT_4zoa4AwHUcf-ayBw&s=HosnnsJuEYnDPQMX7VSEdm4oftDIXxU62SV-1H2WnGE&e=>.

If your query concerns a potential software error in Spectrum Scale (GPFS) and you have an IBM software maintenance contract please contact 1-800-237-5511 in the United States or your local IBM Service Center in other countries.

The forum is informally monitored as time permits and should not be used for priority messages to the Spectrum Scale (GPFS) team.

[Inactive hide details for "Buterbaugh, Kevin L" ---01/04/2018 01:11:59 PM---Happy New Year everyone, I’m sure that everyone is]"Buterbaugh, Kevin L" ---01/04/2018 01:11:59 PM---Happy New Year everyone, I’m sure that everyone is aware of Meltdown and Spectre by now … we, like m