[gpfsug-discuss] Snapshot handling in mixed Windows/MacOSenvironments

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Thu Jun 28 09:26:41 BST 2018

On Wed, 2018-06-27 at 17:53 +0000, Christof Schmitt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> we currently support the SMB protocol method of quering snapshots,
> which is used by the Windows "Previous versions" dialog. Mac clients
> unfortunately do not implement these explicit queries. Browsing the
> snapshot directories with the @GMT names through SMB currently is not
> supported.
>
> Could you open a RFE to request snapshot browsing from Mac clients?
> An official request would be helpful in prioritizing the development
> and test work required to support this.

Surely the lack of previous versions in the Mac Finder is an issue for
Apple to fix? As such an RFE with IBM is not going to help and good
look getting Apple to lift a finger. Similar for the various Linux file
manager programs, though in this case being open source at least IBM
could contribute code to fix the issue.

However it occurs to me that a solution might be to run the Windows
Explorer under Wine on the above platforms. Obviously licensing issues
may well make that problematic, but perhaps the ReactOS clone of
Windows Explorer supports the "Previous versions" feature, and if not
it could be expanded to do so.

Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420