[gpfsug-discuss] preventing HSM tape recall storms

Cameron Dunn Cameron.Dunn at bristol.ac.uk
Fri Jul 6 17:36:14 BST 2018

Thanks Christof,

we had left out "gpfs" from the

vfs objects =
line in smb.conf

so setting
vfs objects = gpfs (etc)
gpfs:hsm = yes
gpfs:recalls = yes  (not "no" as I had originally, and is implied by the manual)

and setting the offline flag on the file by migrating it, so that
# mmlsattr -L  filename.jpg
Misc attributes:      ARCHIVE OFFLINE

now Explorer on Windows 7 and 10 do not recall the file while viewing the folder with "Large icons"

and a standard icon with an X is displayed.

But after the file is then opened and recalled, the icon displays the thumbnail image and the OFFLINE flag is lost.

Also as you observed, Finder on  MacOSX 10.13 ignores the file's offline flag,

so we still risk a recall storm caused by them.

All the best,

Cameron