[gpfsug-discuss] Removing LUN from host without unconfiguring GPFS filesystem

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 09:57:04 GMT 2018

On 22/01/18 03:41, Stephen Ulmer wrote:
> Harold,
>
> The way I read your question, no one has actually answered it fully:
>
> You want to put the old file system in cold storage for forensic
> purposes — exactly as it is. You want the NSDs to go away until and
> unless you need them in the future.

Hum, I would have said I did answer it fully even if I didn't go into
detail. The only in my view sensible approach is to do mmexportfs so
that should you need access to the data then you can get to it by
reimporting it using mmimportfs. In the interim you can unmap all the
NSD's from the cluster without causing GPFS to go care in the slightest.

Otherwise you are doing something that is in my view at the best fool
hardy and more generally down right idiotic. Personally I would outright
refuse to do it without someone else higher up signing a written
disclaimer that I was not responsible should it all go pear shaped. Note
that the mmexportfs takes a few seconds at most to complete, and
likewise with the mmimport.

I am however somewhat perplexed by the data integrity side of the issue.
If you suspect the data is corrupt in the old file system then having it
around for reference purposes is surely not going to help. What are you
going to do mount it again to find the file is corrupt; how is that
going to help?

If you suspect that whatever method you used to move the files from the
old file system to the new one may have introduced corruption, then I
would suggest that the best way out of that is to do an rsync with the
-c flag so that it takes an MD5 checksum of the files on both file
systems. Once that is complete you can safely ditch the old file system
completely knowing that you have recovered it as best as possible. You
could probably kick a bunch of rsyncs of in parallel to speed this
method up.

In fact a "rsync -c" would be a gold standard of look it's absolutely
the same on the old and new file systems and remove all doubts about the
transfer introducing corruption. At that point if someone comes and says
your transfer corrupted my files, you can with justification say they
where corrupt in the old file system and I have done my best to transfer
them over. Note if any user was deliberately creating MD5 collisions
then they get everything they deserve in my view, and accidental
collisions in MD5 are about as likely as ħ.