[gpfsug-discuss] hdisk suspend / stop (Buterbaugh, Kevin L)

Yaron Daniel YARD at il.ibm.com
Fri Feb 9 13:28:49 GMT 2018

Hi

Just make sure you have a backup, just in case ...

Regards

Yaron Daniel
 94 Em Ha'Moshavot Rd

Storage architect
 Petach Tiqva, 49527
IBM Global Markets, Systems HW Sales
 Israel

Phone:
+972-3-916-5672

Fax:
+972-3-916-5672

Mobile:
+972-52-8395593

e-mail:
yard at il.ibm.com

IBM Israel

From:   "Buterbaugh, Kevin L" <Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu>
To:     gpfsug main discussion list <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:   02/08/2018 09:49 PM
Subject:        Re: [gpfsug-discuss] hdisk suspend / stop (Buterbaugh,
Kevin L)
Sent by:        gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

Hi again all,

It sounds like doing the ?mmchconfig unmountOnDiskFail=meta -i? suggested
by Steve and Bob followed by using mmchdisk to stop the disks temporarily
is the way we need to go.  We will, as an aside, also run a mmapplypolicy
first to pull any files users have started accessing again back to the
?regular? pool before doing any of this.

Given that this is our ?capacity? pool and files have to have an atime >
90 days to get migrated there in the 1st place I think this is reasonable.
 Especially since users will get an I/O error if they happen to try to
access one of those NSDs during the brief maintenance window.

As to naming and shaming the vendor ? I?m not going to do that at this
point in time.  We?ve been using their stuff for well over a decade at
this point and have had a generally positive experience with them.  In
fact, I have spoken with them via phone since my original post today and
they have clarified that the problem with the mismatched firmware is only
an issue because we are a major version off of what is current due to us
choosing to not have a downtime and therefore not having done any firmware
upgrades in well over 18 months.

Thanks, all...

Kevin