[gpfsug-discuss] Inode scan optimization

Frederick Stock stockf at us.ibm.com
Thu Feb 8 12:44:35 GMT 2018

You mention that all the NSDs are metadata and data but you do not say how
many NSDs are defined or the type of storage used, that is are these on
SAS or NL-SAS storage?  I'm assuming they are not on SSDs/flash storage.

Have you considered moving the metadata to separate NSDs, preferably
SSD/flash storage?  This is likely to give you a significant performance
boost.

You state that using  the inode scan API you reduced the time to 40 days.
Did you analyze your backup application to determine where the time was
being spent for the backup?  If the inode scan is a small percentage of
your backup time then optimizing it will not provide much benefit.

Fred
Fred Stock | IBM Pittsburgh Lab | 720-430-8821
stockf at us.ibm.com