[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS Independent Fileset Limit

Peinkofer, Stephan Stephan.Peinkofer at lrz.de
Fri Aug 10 16:14:46 BST 2018

Dear Marc,

well the primary reasons for us are:

- Per fileset quota (this seems to work also for dependent filesets as far as I know)

- Per user per fileset quota (this seems only to work for independent filesets)

- The dedicated inode space to speedup mmpolicy runs which only have to be applied to a specific subpart of the file system

- Scaling mmbackup by backing up different filesets to different TSM Servers economically

We have currently more than 1000 projects on our HPC machines and several different existing and planned file systems (use cases):

HPC WORK: Here every project has - for the lifetime of the project - a dedicated storage area that has some fileset quota attached to it, but no further per user or per group quotas are applied here. No backup is taken.

Data Science Storage: This is for long term online and collaborative storage. Here projects can get so called "DSS Containers" to which they can give arbitrary users access to via a Self Service Interface (a little bit like Dropbox). Each of this DSS Containers is implemented via a independent fileset so that projects can also specify a per user quota for invited users, we can backup each container efficiently into a different TSM Node via mmbackup and we can run different actions using the mmapplypolicy to a DSS Container. Also we plan to offer our users to enable snapshots on their containers if they wish so. We currently deploy a 2PB file system for this and are in the process of bringing up two additional 10PB file systems for this but already have requests what it would mean if we have to scale this to 50PB.

Data Science Archive (Planned): This is for long term archive storage. The usage model will be something similar to DSS but underlying, we plan to use TSM/HSM.

Another point, but I don't remember it completely from the top of my head, where people might hit the limit is when they are using your OpenStack Manila integration. As It think your Manila driver creates an independent fileset for each network share in order to be able to provide the per share snapshot feature. So if someone is trying to use ISS in a bigger OS Cloud as Manila Storage the 1000er limit might hit them also.

Best Regards,

Stephan Peinkofer