[gpfsug-discuss] Sub-block size not quite as expected on GPFS 5 filesystem?

Buterbaugh, Kevin L Kevin.Buterbaugh at Vanderbilt.Edu
Mon Aug 6 19:34:34 BST 2018

Hi All,

So I was just reading the GPFS 5.0.0 Administration Guide (yes, I actually do look at the documentation even if it seems sometimes that I don’t!) for some other information and happened to come across this at the bottom of page 358:

The --metadata-block-size flag on the mmcrfs command can be used to create a system pool with a different block size from the user pools. This can be especially beneficial if the default block size is larger than 1 MB. If data and metadata block sizes differ, the system pool must contain only metadataOnly disks.

Given that one of the responses I received during this e-mail thread was from an IBM engineer basically pointing out that there is no benefit in setting the metadata-block-size to less than 4 MB if that’s what I want for the filesystem block size, this might be a candidate for a documentation update.

Thanks…

Kevin

—
Kevin Buterbaugh - Senior System Administrator
Vanderbilt University - Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu<mailto:Kevin.Buterbaugh at vanderbilt.edu> - (615)875-9633