[gpfsug-discuss] mmapplypolicy on nested filesets ...

Frederick Stock stockf at us.ibm.com
Wed Apr 18 18:38:36 BST 2018

Would the PATH_NAME LIKE option work?

Fred
Fred Stock | IBM Pittsburgh Lab | 720-430-8821
stockf at us.ibm.com

From:   "Jaime Pinto" <pinto at scinet.utoronto.ca>
To:     "gpfsug main discussion list" <gpfsug-discuss at spectrumscale.org>
Date:   04/18/2018 12:55 PM
Subject:        [gpfsug-discuss] mmapplypolicy on nested filesets ...
Sent by:        gpfsug-discuss-bounces at spectrumscale.org

A few months ago I asked about limits and dynamics of traversing
depended .vs independent filesets on this forum. I used the
information provided to make decisions and setup our new DSS based
gpfs storage system. Now I have a problem I couldn't' yet figure out
how to make it work:

'project' and 'scratch' are top *independent* filesets of the same
file system.

'proj1', 'proj2' are dependent filesets nested under 'project'
'scra1', 'scra2' are dependent filesets nested under 'scratch'

I would like to run a purging policy on all contents under 'scratch'
(which includes 'scra1', 'scra2'), and TSM backup policies on all
contents under 'project' (which includes 'proj1', 'proj2').

HOWEVER:
When I run the purging policy on the whole gpfs device (with both
'project' and 'scratch' filesets)

* if I use FOR FILESET('scratch') on the list rules, the 'scra1' and
'scra2' filesets under scratch are excluded (totally unexpected)

* if I use FOR FILESET('scra1') I get error that scra1 is dependent
fileset (Ok, that is expected)

* if I use /*FOR FILESET('scratch')*/, all contents under 'project',
'proj1', 'proj2' are traversed as well, and I don't want that (it
takes too much time)

* if I use /*FOR FILESET('scratch')*/, and instead of the whole device
I apply the policy to the /scratch mount point only, the policy still
traverses all the content of 'project', 'proj1', 'proj2', which I
don't want. (again, totally unexpected)

QUESTION:

How can I craft the syntax of the mmapplypolicy in combination with
the RULE filters, so that I can traverse all the contents under the
'scratch' independent fileset, including the nested dependent filesets
'scra1','scra2', and NOT traverse the other independent filesets at
all (since this takes too much time)?

Thanks
Jaime

PS: FOR FILESET('scra*') does not work.

          ************************************
           TELL US ABOUT YOUR SUCCESS STORIES

https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__www.scinethpc.ca_testimonials&d=DwICAg&c=jf_iaSHvJObTbx-siA1ZOg&r=p_1XEUyoJ7-VJxF_w8h9gJh8_Wj0Pey73LCLLoxodpw&m=csxqKhhBsww-1H4lJlra9UtcoY0yG6PcOeV5jYf5pYo&s=tM9JZXsRNu6EEhoFlUuWvTLwMsqbDjfDj3NDZ6elACA&e=

---
Jaime Pinto - Storage Analyst
SciNet HPC Consortium - Compute/Calcul Canada
www.scinet.utoronto.ca - www.computecanada.ca
University of Toronto
661 University Ave. (MaRS), Suite 1140
Toronto, ON, M5G1M1