[gpfsug-discuss] Confusing I/O Behavior

Jonathan Buzzard jonathan.buzzard at strath.ac.uk
Wed Apr 11 11:14:21 BST 2018

On Tue, 2018-04-10 at 23:43 +0200, Uwe Falke wrote:
> Hi Aaron,
> to how many different files do these tiny I/O requests go?
>
> Mind that the write aggregates the I/O over a limited time (5 secs or
> so) and ***per file***.
> It is for that matter a large difference to write small chunks all to
> one
> file or to a large number of individual files .
> to fill a  1 MiB buffer you need about 13100 chunks of  80Bytes
> ***per
> file*** within those 5 secs.

Something else to bear in mind is that you might be using a library
that converts everything into putchar's. I have seen this in the past
with Office on a Mac platform and made performance saving a file over
SMB/NFS appalling. I mean really really bad, a "save as" which didn't
do that would take a second or two, a save would take like 15 minutes.
To the local disk it was just fine.

The GPFS angle is this was all on a self rolled clustered Samba GPFS
setup back in the day. Took a long time to track down, and performance
turned out to be just as appalling with a real Windows file server.

Jonathan A. Buzzard                         Tel: +44141-5483420