[gpfsug-discuss] GPFS, MMAP and Pagepool

Lohit Valleru valleru at cbio.mskcc.org
Wed Apr 11 15:36:29 BST 2018

Hey Sven,

This is regarding mmap issues and GPFS.
We had discussed previously of experimenting with GPFS 5.

I now have upgraded all of compute nodes and NSD nodes to GPFS 5.0.0.2

I am yet to experiment with mmap performance, but before that - I am seeing weird hangs with GPFS 5 and I think it could be related to mmap.

Have you seen GPFS ever hang on this syscall?
[Tue Apr 10 04:20:13 2018] [<ffffffffa0a92155>] _ZN10gpfsNode_t8mmapLockEiiPKj+0xb5/0x140 [mmfs26]

I see the above ,when kernel hangs and throws out a series of trace calls.

I somehow think the above trace is related to processes hanging on GPFS forever. There are no errors in GPFS however.

Also, I think the above happens only when the mmap threads go above a particular number.

We had faced a similar issue in 4.2.3 and it was resolved in a patch to 4.2.3.2 . At that time , the issue happened when mmap threads go more than worker1threads. According to the ticket - it was a mmap race condition that GPFS was not handling well.

I am not sure if this issue is a repeat and I am yet to isolate the incident and test with increasing number of mmap threads.

I am not 100 percent sure if this is related to mmap yet but just wanted to ask you if you have seen anything like above.

Thanks,

Lohit