[gpfsug-discuss] Device mapper

Nick Savva nick.savva at adventone.com
Mon Apr 9 23:51:05 BST 2018

Hi all,

Apologies in advance if this has been covered already in discussions.

I'm building a new spectrum scale cluster and I am trying to get consistent device names across all nodes. I am attempting to use aliases in the multipath.conf which actually works and creates the /dev/mapper/<disk name> link.

I understand you can also copy the bindings file but I think aliases is probably easier to maintain.

However Spectrum scale will not accept the /dev/mapper device it only looks for dm-X devices that are in the /proc/partitions file. I know SONAS is pointing to Device mapper so there must be a way?

Im looking at the /var/mmfs/etc/nsddevices is it a case of editing this file to find the /dev/mapper device?

Appreciate the help in advance,

Nick