[gpfsug-discuss] Change to default for verbsRdmaMinBytes?

Sven Oehme oehmes at gmail.com
Fri Sep 1 23:42:55 BST 2017

Hi Ed,

yes the defaults for that have changed for customers who had not overridden
the default settings. the reason we did this was that many systems in the
field including all ESS systems that come pre-tuned where manually changed
to 8k from the 16k default due to better performance that was confirmed in
multiple customer engagements and tests with various settings , therefore
we change the default to what it should be in the field so people are not
bothered to set it anymore (simplification) or get benefits by changing the
default to provides better performance.
all this happened when we did the communication code overhaul that did lead
to significant (think factors) of improved RPC performance for RDMA and
VERBS workloads.
there is another round of significant enhancements coming soon , that will
make even more parameters either obsolete or change some of the defaults
for better out of the box performance.
i see that we should probably enhance the communication of this changes,
not that i think this will have any negative effect compared to what your
performance was with the old setting i am actually pretty confident that
you get better performance with the new code, but by setting parameters
back to default on most 'manual tuned' probably makes your system even
faster.
if you have a Scale Client on 4.2.3+ you really shouldn't have anything set
beside maxfilestocache, pagepool, workerthreads and potential prefetch , if
you are a protocol node, this and settings specific to an  export (e.g.
SMB, NFS set some special settings) , pretty much everything else these
days should be set to default so the code can pick the correct parameters.,
if its not and you get better performance by manual tweaking something i
like to hear about it.
on the communication side in the next release will eliminate another set of
parameters that are now 'auto set' and we plan to work on NSD next.
i presented various slides about the communication and simplicity changes
in various forums, latest public non NDA slides i presented are here -->
http://files.gpfsug.org/presentations/2017/Manchester/08_Research_Topics.pdf

hope this helps .

Sven