[gpfsug-discuss] OS/Feature deprecations in upcoming major release

Carl Zetie carlz at us.ibm.com
Fri Oct 6 21:39:28 BST 2017

Hi Aaron,

I appreciate your care with this. The user group are the first users to be briefed on this.

We're not quite ready to put more in writing just yet, however I will be at SC17 and hope
to be able to do so at that time. (I'll also take any other questions that people want to
ask, including "where's my RFE?"...)

I also want to add one note about the meaning of feature deprecation, because it's not well
understood even within IBM: If we deprecate a feature with the next major release it does
NOT mean we are dropping support there and then. It means we are announcing the INTENTION
to drop support in some future release, and encourage you to (a) start making plans on
migration to a supported alternative, and (b) chime in on what you need in order to be
able to satisfactorily migrate if our proposed alternative is not adequate.

regards,

 Carl Zetie
 Offering Manager for Spectrum Scale, IBM

 (540) 882 9353 ][ Research Triangle Park
 carlz at us.ibm.com

Message: 2