[gpfsug-discuss] Experience with CES NFS export management

Peinkofer, Stephan Stephan.Peinkofer at lrz.de
Mon Oct 23 11:41:23 BST 2017

Dear List,

I’m currently working on a self service portal for managing NFS exports of ISS. Basically something very similar to OpenStack Manila but tailored to our specific needs.
While it was very easy to do this using the great REST API of ISS, I stumbled across a fact that may be even a show stopper: According to the documentation for mmnfs, each time we
create/change/delete a NFS export via mmnfs, ganesha service is restarted on all nodes.

I assume that this behaviour may cause problems (at least IO stalls) on clients mounted the filesystem. So my question is, what is your experience with CES NFS export management.
Do you see any problems when you add/change/delete exports and ganesha gets restarted?

Are there any (supported) workarounds for this problem?

PS: As I think in 2017 CES Exports should be manageable without service disruptions (and ganesha provides facilities to do so), I filed an RFE for this: https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rfe/execute?use_case=viewRfe&CR_ID=111918

Many thanks in advance.
Best Regards,
Stephan Peinkofer
--
Stephan Peinkofer
Dipl. Inf. (FH), M. Sc. (TUM)

Leibniz Supercomputing Centre
Data and Storage Division
Boltzmannstraße 1, 85748 Garching b. München
Tel: +49(0)89 35831-8715     Fax: +49(0)89 35831-9700